Monday, March 27, 2017

Spline roadbed

I am starting the trackwork to Ophir following the completion of trackwork in Rico.  I am trying out a new technique to make the spline roadbed.  This was suggested to me via email from Steve Hatch, of Railway Engineering.  This method is faster to construct, and I find that it is easier for me to keep the splines and blocks aligned crossways than in the method I used before.

As before, I cut splines from scrap lauan plywood.  I cut the strips 3/4" wide, rather than 1/2" as I did previously.  The thicker splines were chosen to match up with the 3/4" plywood base used for Rico.  I then squared up a piece of leftover 2"x2" pine, as used for legs on the layout, such that it was exactly 1.5" square.  The legs were carefully crosscut on my table saw into pieces 3/4" long.  These were laminated between the two 3/4" splines, and glued in place with Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue.  This glue is waterproof, which is an important consideration, since delamination of the roadbed while installing scenery would not be a good thing!  The width of the completed spline roadbed is an exact match for the Cascade Rail Supply milled Homasote roadbed.  It still requires a lot of clamps to construct the roadbed!


Initial installation of the spline roadbed.  The outside spline was simply clamped to the existing 3/4" plywood roadbed.  The roadbed will be trimmed, and aligned with the track centerline.


The spline roadbed with about half of the spacer blocks glued in place.






Question:  How many clamps does it take to build spline roadbed?  Answer:  All of them!

A closeup view of the spline roadbed.  The roadbed will be sanded smooth prior to installation of the Cascade Rail Supply milled Homasote roadbed.

A closer view of the completed spline roadbed.

The spline roadbed sanded and with the track centerline marked.  The milled Homasote roadbed will be installed using the marked centerline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment