Wednesday, April 8, 2015

K-28 476 with a TCS WOWSound decoder


I just installed a Train Control Systems WOWSound decoder into my Sunset Models K-28 476. The decoder includes a KA2 Keep-Alive circuit board, which allows the locomotive to continue to run over dirty track, or other intermittent electrical problems.  The decoder has a wire connection to a sound cam, allowing the chuff to be synchronized with driver rotation.  The decoder was set to use the auto-chuff by default, so I checked the TCS website for details on how to enable the cam wire. 

All axles on the locomotive, and two of the four on the tender, were too tight in gauge, causing the locomotive to "bump" its way across properly gauged turnouts.  Therefore, I had to disassemble the locomotive and re-gauge the wheelsets to ensure proper operation.  The result of the work is a locomotive that runs well at low speeds, and has an interesting selection of bells and whistles.

I've uploaded a still photo and a video of the locomotive in action.  The video is only about 1:24 in length.  Enjoy!




D&RGW K-28 476 crossing the turnout leading to the Durango Stock Pens.  The locomotive is a Sunset Models K-28 with a TCS WOWSound decoder with Keep-Alive.  The locomotive has a headlight installed, but still needs a crew.





8 comments:

  1. John: I enjoyed your recent updates on the warehouse build, turntable update and the K-28 TCS/Wow install. Hope all is well.

    Mark Lewis
    Hickory, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. All is well! I just purchased a pair of so-called sugar cube speakers, and will be doing an install soon. I will be installing a brand-new WOWSound decoder, which is version 3 (my K-28 is version 1), but, I need to decide in which loco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, how hard is it to install DCC/Sound in the Sunset Models locos? Getting tired of waiting on Blackstone to release the K28/K36 models...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, it really is not that difficult. The biggest issue I had was that all axles were tight in gauge, and I had to re-gauge them. Once that was done, it ran through the properly gauged switches without any difficulty. I found that there was plenty of room in the tender for the decoder, the Keep-Alive, and the speaker (I used a PFM Face-port speaker, which is long out-of-production). I would use one of the Mega-Bass speakers if I didn't have the Face-Port. Go for it - it is satisfying to "roll your own".

      Delete
  4. I also have a Sunset Models K-28 that I'll be attempting a DCC install in soon. Did you add anything for power pick ups, or did you just use the default configuration with the Keep Alive on the decoder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used the default configuration, and added the Keep Alive to the decoder. It has worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply! I'll be attempting the same conversion soon. Two more questions for you if you have the time. Did you add a front coupler, if so what did you use? Also what did you use for the headlight?

      Delete
  6. I hope I'm not too late to this thread. I am going to be starting the regauging of the drivers on my Sunset K-28 soon and was wondering if you have any tips or advice for the process?

    Thanks,
    russ

    ReplyDelete