Monday, January 26, 2015

Wiring with DCC

As with the previous layout, this layout will be controlled using NCE DCC (http://www.ncedcc.com).  When I dismantled the previous layout, I retained all electronic components.  This was a huge time- and cost-saving measure, and allowed me to get trains running quickly.  Once the track was installed in the Durango Yard and the Silverton Branch, I installed 14 gauge stranded bus wires for what will be District One and for the reverse loop.  I color coded the wiring for future troubleshooting, using red and black stranded buses for the District One wiring, and green and white 12 gauge stranded wire (because I had this on hand) for the reverse section.  I then dropped 22 gauge stranded feeder wires from every length of rail to the appropriate bus wires.  The reverse section was gapped on both rails at each end to completely isolate it.  The reverse section was connected to a DCC Specialties (http://www.dccspecialties.com) OG-AR auto reverse unit, and District One was powered via a DCC Specialties PSX-4 circuit breaker.  Details about wiring the previous layout, which are applicable to this layout, can be found at this link:  DCC for the D&RGW.

I added a control bus to the layout, even though the layout will be controlled via radio controlled throttles to provide a backup in the event the batteries fail, or more operators are present than radio throttles. 

2 comments:

  1. Good to see progress on the layout, John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The progress has been slow, but steady. I'm trying to get some decent photos to show the progress on scenery, ballast, etc.

      John

      Delete